Sunday, July 31, 2016

Blog 4

After having the entire afternoon free to explore the Deutsches in Munich I decided my favorite part was the exhibit on machine tools. I find automation fascinating so it is always cool when I can see an automated system in action like today at the museum or at the BMW factory. After out guided tour I went back to the machine tools section and saw that the system had been turned on by one of the museum employees so I not only got to see the various machines running, but I also got to take one of the magnets they made as a souvenir. Near the automated system was all of the older machines and systems that were used throughout the years to produce different products. It was interesting to see how each of the machines began and how they evolved with the times into what we have now.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Luke, I also found the machines very interesting. I really wish I could've seen the machines run as well, and you were lucky to get a souvenir as well. It's cool that you're able to see the progression of automation to the point where we don't even need much human interaction with the machines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found those machines very interesting. I wasn't quite sure how they all worked, so it would have been cool to see at least one of them running. I did, however, recognize some of the older machines because the machine shop I work at still uses some of them for production, which is pretty neat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally I don't enjoy machines as much as you but seeing how these machines developed is interesting to see. How the machines changed in complexity and efficiency. We also saw this in the textile museum. Although how these machines work is not really an interest to me, how they changed is what I liked to see the most. Its amazing how far mankind has gone in their development of technology. Also, I saw some machines that I used in high school in the shop. This made me feel old...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also enjoyed the machine tools Luke and how we progressed from one source of power that every body shared like the leather belts of the first room. The second room all the machines were independent of each other so if one machine broke it didn't stop production. And the third room filled with automated machines that can make what ever we want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luke-- I was also intrigued by the machine tools area. It's really cool to see how some of our sites had overlapping topics, like BMW's machines and then the machines in the museum. I think it's incredible how precise those robots can be and how great their range or motion is. It's sad to see how machines are replacing people and their jobs, but I can see why companies would do so. Seeing all of these advancements side by side with this technology makes me ponder how machines will continue to be improved.

    ReplyDelete