Friday, July 22, 2016

Blog Post #1

The site that I found to be the most compelling and significant to the advancement of scientific knowledge was the Biblioteca Thysiana. Although this site did not contain elaborate instruments and inventions, it still contained valuable historical pieces, which were simply knowledge itself. Thysiana's collection allowed others to better themselves and allowed them to process scientific concepts. Giving the untrianed public access to books lead to more discoveries in science. Therefore, a mind can wonder and be talented without being taught. This was the beginning of sharing skills, resources, and knowledge, which were previously just given to scholars. This concept would later be affiliated with music. Masters in the classical era would teach the middle class simple melodies. Lastly, I was amazed by the condition of the book collection. It is a truly irraplacable artifact showcasing the methods of recording knowledge in 17th century Europe.

2 comments:

  1. First of all I'd just like to say your post is very well worded and very well thought out - I love it! Also, I would like to expand on your post a little by just pointing out that the Boerhaave also had a compelling collection of 'knowledge'. Even with a version of the same book, but with pictures in color instead of black and white. Therefore this was part of the reason I found the Boerhaave to be the most interesting with the Biblioteca Thysiana coming in hot for second fave 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also greatly enjoyed the Biblioteca Thysiana. As a lover of books myself, I can only wish to have such a great collection one day. Outside of seeing the books, I was amazed that we could actually handle them. I also thought it was interesting that people had to bind the books themselves. I will have to do more research on the subject because I may try to bind a book myself, just for fun.

    ReplyDelete