Thursday, July 28, 2016

Blog Number 3

I really enjoyed the Red Cross Museum we saw on our first day in Munich. I thought it was very neat that the entire collection was acquired by our guide and that we were the last ones to see it in that location. I was surprised to learn that the Red Cross has been around for so long and that the founder was able to convince all of the different kings and emperors of the different European countries to agree to its creation. Something else I thought was cool was that all of the items were authentic and that we were able to touch so much of it. It was fun seeing all of the different medical equipment from throughout the years and trying to guess what it was since it looked nothing like its modern version. Lastly, hearing about the different logos for Red Cross around the world and the change to the red diamond was fascinating.

8 comments:

  1. I also learned so much about the Red Cross that day. I thought it was really cool that our guide collected all of that, too. We are so lucky that the museum stayed open longer just so we could experience that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found it was very cool that we were the las people to ever go into this museum and that our guide collected everything on his own. I was impressed with amount of medical supplies that were there and that we could touch them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the fact that the museam was located in an old buncker. It's sad that they are moving the collection to a new location, because the bunker itself is a part of the history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this museum as well. Seeing all of the old medical equipment was my favorite part. Also, I have been very surprised on multiple occasions here in Europe that we could actually touch the museum artifacts. In all of the museums I have gone to in the US I have never been able to pick up such things. I also never knew very much about the Red Cross and this tour was very enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, this collection was one of a kind. Our guide had aquired so many rare items. In addition to the medical equipment, I also thought that his collection certificates for just one nurse was a rarity. I also thought it was cool that they were 'signed' by Adolf Hitler. Many people probably dont think of the Red Cross right away when they think of important orginizations in hisory, but it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found the Red Cross Museum interesting as well. I was surprised by the amount of items our guide had collected and it makes you wonder what he must have experienced in his life time that he's been able to collect all of these unique items. Not many people can say the same..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also found all of the different logos for the Red Cross to be fascinating. In high school I was really into graphic design and typography so I studied logo design for a while. The difference in each country's design of a medical logo was really intriguing, especially how a lot countries drew from religious symbolism. The current goal of creating a universal symbol for the Red Cross, a diamond, was wonderful and very representative of how connected the world has become.

    ReplyDelete