Monday, July 25, 2016

Blog Numero Dos-The Hortus Botanicus

Hello!
While the Royal Delft Blue Porcelain factory and the walking tour of Delft were pretty awesome, I would have to say that the Hortus Botanicus was my favorite site of the past few days.  My Dad is a logger and skidder and he has to know the types of trees that are good for firewood, building with, etc.  He's told me a lot about the North American trees like pine, ash, oak, etc. but it was nice to hear about the other various trees around the world.  I had never seen a yew tree before, but I knew that they were used to build bows.  I didn't know that they were really poisonous to us, cows, horses, and I thought that it was great that our tour guide included that nugget of information.  I also loved the butterfly house.  There were several types of different butterflies and they were all very beautiful.  Its amazing how the greenhouses that the gardens have that contain these butterflies and varying types of plants are adapted to suit each of the climates that they come from.  All in all it was a great experience.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. I found the various trees interesting also. I found the elm trees growing sideways were very funny and all the information that Asker shared with us amusing.

    ReplyDelete