Thursday, July 28, 2016

The Red Cross Museum

I found the beginnings of the Red Cross to be very interesting because I know we see it in our every day lives and at school but never knew how it came to be.  The swissman who started all this couldn't stand how many people died because they laid on the battlefield for hours and even days slowly dying.  To think that an organization could be neutral in a war and help both sides victims of it was definitely revolutionary.  Although, it was mentioned that even though a treaty with three main rules was drawn up and signed by over 100 countries, the countries that signed the treaty and some that didn't sometimes wouldn't follow it and they would persecute and kill the Red Cross doctors and nurses.  I also didn't know that there were different symbols to represent the Red Cross in various countries because of their religious affiliations.  For example, in Pakistan there is a crescent (that also applies to other countries around Pakistan as well) while of course we have the traditional red cross.
Thanks for listening!

Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. I also found this museuem to be very interesting. I didn't realize how huge this organization is or how it began and it was really cool to learn about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa-- I really enjoyed learning about the origins of the Red Cross as well. It was very heartwarming to see that people were trying to people on both sides of the war instead of taking the common opinion of hatred and fighting. Additionally, I thought it was neat to see the differences in the Red Cross symbols. It's sad to think that some people can't separate the religious affiliation from the organization's goal, but I appreciate their mission and their work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was interesting how the red cross realizes that different people have different needs and demands. This shows through the flexibility of using different symbols other than a cross.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was interesting how the red cross realizes that different people have different needs and demands. This shows through the flexibility of using different symbols other than a cross.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed going to the museum as well. I never knew that the Red Cross had such a long history behind it or that there were so many different symbols to it. I found it interesting too that so many countries have the Red Cross in them.

    ReplyDelete