Thursday, July 28, 2016

BMW GINA Light Vision


At the BMW museum we got a glimpse into the companies past, but we also took a peek into the future. Here we were introduced to GINA. This "vision car" is made from an extremely light weight spaceframe and covered with an elastic fabric. This ensures the car is a light as possible, but that is just the beginning. The car is able to change its shape while it is moving to adjust its aerodynamics. The rear spoiler and side sills can be raised or lowered to adjust the down force on the car. The doors do not have visible hinges, and the headlamps are concealed during the day. Although the car was never put into production due to safety concerns, the concept of the cars body changing shape is still being used for future models.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Adam, I too found GINA really interesting. I thought it was cool to see a car that could morph it's body to become more aerodynamically efficient. It's a cool concept and I liked that they were using it in some of their other cars. I'm hoping that it'll become a reality sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found the BMW museum interesting and how we got to see how BMW are thinking about different car models every year. GINA as Adam pointed out is super light weight and can change it shape to accommodate various drags. Super cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also found Gina really fascinating. It was awesome to see that her outside layer is actually a layer of various clothes. Its sad though that it could never be driven on the roads, but luckily they have included some of the features from this car into their "future car".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also found this 'vision car' to be fascinating. In fact I thought that a lot of the the concept cars were interesting. I believe our tour guide mentioned one that was made entirely of ice and wood. I will have to look up a picture of it at some point. I also did not know that BMW started off making motorcycles (I thought they just made cars).

    ReplyDelete