Sunday, July 24, 2016

Blog Post #2

Hello again fellow students and travelers!
These past couple of days we've witnessed quite a bit of history. On one of those days we traveled to Delft, in which we toured the Porcelain factory as well as key landmarks throughout the city. The Porcelain factory was cool, but I would have to say I was most influenced by the landmarks. It was really cool to go from reading about Leeuwenhoek and Vermeer to seeing where they lived as well as getting a greater glimpse of what their lives were like. (And our guide was awesome as I'm sure we can all agree.) Of course we could only imagine what their houses looked like since one was a vacant clothing store and the other was removed to create a fire lane, but we can at least put some of the pieces from Eye of the Beholder together by walking the same sidewalks as two great men once did. Now I really do know they lived only a short distance apart from seeing it with my own eyes and walking the distance with my own feet. In such a small world I have to believe the two men knew each other and became great friends. Another part of the walking tour was the church where Vermeer was buried, or so it says. A few of us actually noticed he may not be buried under the small rectangle anymore, but perhaps under the more detailed slab or maybe somewhere else entirely. We may never know where his body lies, but at least we have his microscopes and his wisdom.
That's all for now! Until next time... B  

1 comment:

  1. I also really enjoyed getting to experience where Vermeer and Leeuwenhoek lived. I like to believe that the two men knew each other because of the small neighborhood in which they both belonged.

    ReplyDelete