Thursday, July 28, 2016

TIM

The past few locations we have toured have all been very interesting, but my favorite has been the Textile Industry Museum. The layout and order of the tour proved to be very useful because it followed the timeline of looms very closely and chronologically. It was very cool to see the evolution of the loom; I had no idea what present day weaving machines looked like, let alone the ones in the past. I liked how every machine had a blueprint with holes punched in it and that's how they knew how to operate and which threads to weave where. To see how sophisticated the looms became was so intriguing, and to think about how at first one person ran one machine, and as time went by, one person could watch over dozens of them at once. And also to think it all really started with twisting your own yarn and thread by hand, and then manually weaving it. It's exciting how far that industry has come, and how farther it can still go. With any industry and technology, it seems like anything is possible and it's hard to even imagine what the future might hold. That's what's so exciting about this trip and all of the majors we are studying because hopefully this will inspire us all to work hard and see what innovations we can come up with.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed learning about the evolution of the loom. I liked being able to see a real life application of punchcard programs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura-- I also thought it was fascinating to see the punch cards as well. I would have never thought of that as a computer. It's interesting to see how far even the computer has come. I can't imagine being an operator at the beginning stages of the looms. I would get so bored and it would be so loud and monotonous. However, I think operating a large amount of looms in the later stages would be very stressful.

    ReplyDelete