Thursday, July 28, 2016

Textile Industry Museum - Augsburg

Dear blog,

I really enjoyed going to the Textile Industry Museum in Augsburg. It was interesting to see the outside of the building and how they were constructed at the time in order to take full advantage of the sunlight so that workers could easily see their work. I also thought it was interesting to see some of the unrestored buildings that were damaged by bombs during the war, this gave us a better perspective on the war times. I loved that we were able to see the machines run and hear how loud they were, it really helped me to imagine how loud a whole room of 30-60 of those would've been. And at the time there was no form of hearing protection so many of the machine workers would eventually go deaf from all the loud noises. I also found it interesting that many of the fabric books that companies had would become forms of "industrial espionage" because many competitors would steal fabric from the books to try and replicate it and make it cheaper and better. This really helped give me an idea of how important this industry was at the time, and how much the textile industry has grown over the past century.

Jake Wetsch

2 comments:

  1. I thought the textile museum was also really interesting. I was skeptical going into it was pleasantly surprised. I really liked seeing the different machines from throughout the years and thought it was very cool that they still ran. All of the machines, even the old ones were much more complex then I would have imagined. I was disappointed that we were unable to take pictures but overall still had a good experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially liked seeing the machines run and operate. I was amazed how complex these things were for how old they were. I think it shows that a lot of human innovation is focused to where the money is at the time. Which makes you wonder what else we could have innovated if industry wasn't the objective for these incredible machines.

    ReplyDelete