Sunday, July 31, 2016

Deutsches Museum - Musical Instrument Exhibit

Dear blog,

Today we went to the Deutsches museum in Munich. We took a tour of some of the industrial revolution artifacts that they had, and then we were allowed to have a few hours of free time. During that time my favorite exhibit was the music room, which was full of old musical instruments along with some more modern ones as well. When you walk in you were greeted by a piano that was playing music by itself and there were many unique pieces as well. We found a Theremin that you were able to experiment and play with which I had never had the opportunity to do. We also saw a piano that was using violins to make music by having the keys on the piano correlate to the strings on the violin. This was my favorite exhibit because I play a musical instrument, and it was very interesting to see some of the old instruments as well as some very unique and one of a kind instruments.

Jake Wetsch

5 comments:

  1. I also liked this exhibit. There was a collection of electric instruments in the middle of the room. In particular there was a nice looking electric bass. Its really awesome to see the various instruments developed over the years and how certain instruments have been changed too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found this music exhibit enjoyable. I thought the piano playing itself was really cool. I had never even heard of a theremin and I thought that was so intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed seeing the musical exhibit as well but I was disappointed because most of the captions were in German so I couldn't really get to know the story behind each one. I too play a musical instrument, the trumpet. I liked to see how society has put such an effort into improving musical instruments. It shows we are willing to make improvements for more than just money but entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kiara and I walked through this exhibit and heard music. At first we thought one of the employees was playing on one of the pianos or something, but to our surprise the piano was playing all on its own (well not completely I'm sure). I loved seeing the way pianos, as well as other musical instruments, evolved over time. It was cool of the museum to show that science is the only important thing in the world, but that music and art are just as important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this exhibition as well. Being greeted by the piano that played on its own was so cool. I also tried out the therein which was an unique experience. It was fun to watch how different hand motions changed the frequencies and pitches.

    ReplyDelete