Monday, July 25, 2016

The Amsterdam Hortus Botanicus

The Amsterdam Hortus Botanicus was one of my favorite sites overall. The main reason why it was my favorite was because of our guide through the garden. Asker was by far the funniest and most interesting guide we have had so far during this trip. The stories he told us were as interesting as they were funny. My favorite story of Asker's was the story about the plant that is officially extinct even though there are still a few left,  but they are deemed extinct because there are only male plants left. I also have always had an interest in plants which is another reason why I really enjoyed the botanical gardens. There are many plants that I had only seen pictures of or read about and I was able to see them in person at the gardens. I saw very interesting plants like the lotus flower, and the Venus flytrap. Asker also told us about plants I had never heard about before like the giant lily and the plant with exploding pods. Overall I really enjoyed the Amsterdam Hortus Botanicus because of the eccentric guide and the very interesting plants.

1 comment:

  1. I found the Victorian Water Lily to be my favorite plant at the gardens. It's amazing how the plant evolved to have those massive spikes to repel fish and other plants, as well as closing its flower pedals to trap the beetles and the release them the next day. For a plant without a brain, that is pretty remarkable.

    ReplyDelete