Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Blog Post #1: Biblioteca Thysiana

Hello everyone. From our trip this far, I have really enjoyed the Biblioteca Thysiana. Typically, I am not one to frequent libraries today, so I was surprised how much I enjoyed this site. Our guide, Paul, was so passionate about the history of the books in the library, and that made the tour much more enjoyable. I thought it was incredible how much thought went into the library site itself. The library executors really had the best interest of the books and of the visitors in mind. Today, libraries are just placed wherever a community can find a plot of land or a vacant building, but the Biblioteca Thysiana was not such a project. The immaculate attention to the light was astounding. However, when Paul explained about the indirect light and compared to direct light and its effect on reading and on the books, it is surprising that more institutions haven't considered this lighting in their constructions. Additionally, I really connected with the books and their history when we were able to feel the pages. There is so much more of an intimate connection with its history because you can feel the impressions that the printing press left on the pages. My favorite book was the old Bible. I thought it was absolutely incredible that someone hand painted all of the images and illustrations in the story. I also appreciated that they had images at all. Seemingly insignificant, but these images could have helped spread the word of Christianity and of the Bible to those who would have otherwise been unable to read about it. Visiting the Biblioteca Thysiana has made me appreciate the history that books have to offer and the attention to detail of each individual book.  

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your whole post, I was surprised too about how much I enjoyed the library since I'm not very interested in books either. I liked how the books were so laboriously made by hand, even with a printing press. I think many people are ungrateful about the easy access we have to any books today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was suprised about hearing that books then weren't bought with bindings. I thought it was interesting that you could see the level of wealth or personal taste of the book's owner in the binding that was put on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was suprised about hearing that books then weren't bought with bindings. I thought it was interesting that you could see the level of wealth or personal taste of the book's owner in the binding that was put on it.

    ReplyDelete