Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Blog Post #4- Deutsches Experience

Travelers,

During my personal time at the museum I was able to explore all the floors of the museum. I saw many things that interested me and related to our trip. I started in the pharmaceutical area where I learned about medical chests and their roll in the development of medicine. Medical chests were carried by travelers in the 1500 and 1600's. They contained herbs and other random items that were believed to have healing qualities. These chests were also very decorative. Perhaps this attracted customers or even implied that the items inside were extra special. Once society began to study medicine more in depth, and require education to do so, these chests slowly began to disappear. Thus, medicine began to be a field for the educated. In addition to the pharmaceutical area, I also explored the astronomy area. Here I learned about capturing images of stars. I was surprised to learn that the first captured image of a star was taken in 1850. This was before cameras were popular and used for family photo's. Cameras were a rarity but clearly were used for science. Scientists were now able to capture their observations as they were. ( Even if the quality of the image wasn't that great). Overall I learned a lot about a variety of subjects, but these two experiences I felt were most applicable to our class.

For the last time.

Sincerely,

A.W

1 comment:

  1. Abby- That sounds brutal to carry all of your medical stuff to go treat people. At least now we can just drive to a hospital and get care there. I also went to see the telescopes as well and how they capture their discoveries with pictures. I think this gave the astronomers more accreditation because they can prove their discoveries.

    ReplyDelete